Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Spicy Chicken Noodle Soup (A Guest Post by Laura D of The Soup Bowl)

*Hey guys! I'm relaxing on the beach in the Bahamas right now and have very limited internet access, so I got another very awesome blogger, Laura D of The Soup Bowl, to fill in for me. You should definitely check out her blog, especially if you like soup. See you guys soon!*

Laura D is a journalist living in Washington, DC. She runs her blog at thesoupbowl.wordpress.com. The Soup Bowl has been around for nearly two years. Its recipes focus on having fun with eating healthy. Find Laura on Twitter @soupbowltweets. While she specializes in soup recipes, Laura's favorite foods are anything with tomatoes, basil and garlic
.

Like Jamie-Lee, I also recently made homemade chicken stock. My recipe yielded about 1 quart and this is how I used it. You can, of course, use store-bought and switch to vegetable broth if you prefer.
Originally, I made the stock because I was catching a cold. It knocked me down for a good four days. Who gets sick in the summer time? It seems odd to have "caught cold" when there was a heat wave going on where I live (which is DC, by the way.) Warnings of hyperthermia were going around and I wanted a spicy, hot soup. But if you think about it, many of the world's warmest regions have the spiciest cuisines. Apparently, the theory is that spicy foods actually cool you down. Can't really compare to a dip in the pool, or better yet, an ocean, if you ask me. But take from that what you will! One thing I can tell you for sure is, if the weather hasn't already got you sweating, this soup will.

Spicy Chicken and Mushroom Noodle Soup
Serves 2
Ingredients
  • 1 quart chicken stock
  • 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
  • 6 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 1 dried chili pepper, seeded (I used half a dried aji amarillo)
  • 1 pre-cooked chicken breast, chopped
  • 1/2 cup dried mushrooms (I used a mix of shitake and maitake)
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • About 4 oz. or 1/3 a package rice stick noodles (also called maifun)
  • Sriracha for dipping (optional)
Directions
Soak the mushrooms in the boiled water for about a half hour. Meanwhile, simmer the ginger, garlic and chili pepper in the broth in a medium sauce pan for 25 to 45 minutes. The longer it simmers, the spicier it gets. Strain the broth and return to the pan. Keep the heat on and add the chicken, simmering until heated through. Then turn off the heat and add the noodles. Let rest for about 20 minutes. While the noodles are softening in the soup, strain the mushrooms from the soaking liquid. Reserve the liquid. Slice the mushrooms. When the noodles are soft, add the mushrooms and soaking liquid to the soup. Stir to combine, and serve. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Great looking soup recipe, look forward to trying, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete